Saturday, June 23, 2012

Good Bye, Alaska

This morning, at 8 am, I packed up and headed south from Fairbanks, AK. - towards the Yukon border. Last night, I elected to go to bed, rather than attend the "24 hours of daylight" midnight baseball game. I guess, the "old body" is still a little tired, from "the Dalton". I did, however, read about the game - in the Fairbanks newspaper - while eating breakfast. It is an annual event, which draws a lot of excitement.
On the road again, it felt kind of strange, riding solo. In a day or so, it will be old hat. "Bessy" is running great - I cleaned her air filter yesterday; it got plugged on the dusty roads! I made it as far as Beaver Creek, Yukon today. I have 1500 miles to go, till Edmonton. I'll get a good start in the morning and try to knock 600 miles off. I will be riding on new (to me) roads, after Haines Junction. This section of road, between Haines Junction and Watson Lake - which includes Whitehorse - was missed on the way up, due to road closures; from flooding/washouts. All roads are open now, but aren't 100%. It could be slow going - but I won't be needing the ferry!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to Canada !!!! ....What an awesome trip...David you are so good at writing I felt like I was with you on the Dalton road...Of course I have watched some shows on tv about it....and we had one friend do it as well . Not on a bike though. Keep on going ..You have a way to go to civilisation and then the prairies...All the best...Gail and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave i follow you and pray that everything will be OK. Please be careful. The roads before and after White horse are BAD. You Did Dalton and i am sure you will handle it much easier. Be safe and call me when you have reception. I did try few times but your phone was of.

    ReplyDelete